Compassion and skill are at the heart of the Starr Regional Surgical Services Department. Our dedicated team coordinates and manages the care of each patient, every step of the way — through screening, observation, surgical intervention, rehabilitation and follow-up. We offer expertise in general surgery as well as procedures relating to gastroenterology, gynecology, orthopedics, podiatry and urology. Surgeries are performed at Starr Regional Medical Center – Athens.
Starr Regional offers a state-of-the-art facility, using the latest technology, for all surgical procedures performed. We take the most minimally invasive approach possible in any procedure, helping you heal and recover faster.
Preparing for Surgery
Having even a minor procedure can cause stress, especially if you do not go to the hospital often. If you are planning to have surgery at Starr Regional Medical Center, it’s easy to prepare. Keep these steps in mind to make the process go smoothly.
Our Pre-Registration department will contact you prior to your surgery to schedule a time to review the personal information needed for registration. By completing this ahead of time, you will lessen the amount of time needed at registration on the day of your surgery. Click here to pre-register online.
Pre-Admission Testing (PAT)
A Pre-Admission Testing appointment may be scheduled for you prior to your surgery. On the day of your Pre-Admission Testing appointment, check in at our registration desk. Registration staff will finalize your registration, discuss financial responsibilities for your procedure(s), and assist you in completing the appropriate paperwork. Please bring:
- Photo ID card
- Insurance card(s)
- Complete list of medications (prescription, herbs, vitamins and over-the-counter medications) including amounts taken and frequency. Feel free to bring in the bottles or take pictures of the labels
- List of current physicians/specialists with office numbers
- Any advanced directives you may have (Examples: living will or Power of Attorney)
Take your normal medications and eat normally unless otherwise instructed. Please allow 1-3 hours for your entire Pre-Admission Testing process. Most appointments take about an hour-and-a-half.
A Pre-Admission Testing nurse will review your medical and surgical history with you. If ordered by your surgeon or anesthesiologist, you will have: lab work drawn, a chest x-ray and/or an EKG if you have a cardiac history. If you have had an EKG done in the last six months, please provide the physician’s name and number to the nurse so that we can get a copy of the results. At the conclusion of your assessment, written instructions will be provided for your convenience and review.
A few days before surgery:
- Prepare your house for a safe and comfortable recovery. Reference the "Preparing Your Home" checklist you'll be provided.
- Prepare for your hospitalization. Follow the "What to Bring to the Hospital" checklist provided by your PAT nurse.
The night before surgery:
- Please refrain from tobacco use after midnight. Tobacco increases the amount of gastric secretions produced and could cause nausea or other complications during your procedure.
- Follow the instructions regarding eating and drinking that your surgeon or PAT nurse gives to you.
- Your surgeon, and/or anesthesia/pre-op nurse, may instruct you to take certain medications with minimal water the morning of surgery. Do as instructed.
- Most importantly, please get plenty of rest.